- In order to use a VPN on an Amazon Firestick, you’ll need: A Fire TV (or Fire TV Stick v2 or higher) updated to the latest version of the operating system; An account with your chosen VPN service. If you don’t have a VPN yet, take a look at our best VPN apps for Firestick and the best free Firestick VPNs.
- BEST FREE VPN FOR FIRESTICK: Hotspot Shield is our top pick. It has a lot to offer anyone hoping to watch US TV on Amazon Firestick, including high speeds and a decent bandwidth cap. There’s even a generous, risk-free, 45-day money-back guarantee. For more information, check out the full Hotspot Shield review.
Click the Connect button within the IPVanish Fire TV/Firestick VPN to activate a secure connection 2. Install the Amazon Silk Browser for free on your Fire TV or Fire TV Stick through the Amazon App Store (For those. Launch the Silk Browser 4. Click the search bar on top 5.
Get yourself a free VPN for Firestick that’s safe and reliable, even if it allows limited data a month.
The point is to use a provider that won’t steal your data as most free VPNs do. So, this guide will surely help you out, highlighting only 5 free VPNs for Firestick that are worth your time.
TLDR: Free VPN for Firestick in 2021
- NordVPNThe best VPN for Firestick that you can try risk-free for 30-days. Fastest speeds and unlimited server switches.
- Windscribe Best truly free VPN for Firestick with 10GB free data per month. Comes with 10 servers on the free app., with basic speeds.
- ProtonVPN Free VPN for Firestick with great in-app features, and unlimited bandwidth.
- Hide.me Use it for free on FireStick, with 10 GB data a month, and access to 5 servers.
- SurfEasy Good for YouTube and limited streaming on Amazon FireStick
To binge on Firestick, you’re going to have to connect it to an HDMI port on your television, and it automatically transforms it into an HD streaming platform.
Apart from that, to gain access to most of the services Firestick provides, you’re going to need the best VPN for it. However, most users want a free VPN for Firestick instead of a paid one.
Here’s the thing, a free VPN for Firestick won’t provide you with the fastest speeds, unlimited bandwidth, and complete access to all the VPN servers. And, that’s why I recommended using NordVPN among the list of completely free Firestick VPNs.
Other than that, the 4 completely free VPNs mentioned are the only reliable choices that still work safely, even though with a limit.
Why you need a VPN for Firestick
Needing a VPN for Firestick and needing a VPN, in general, are both of dire importance. Either way, you’re going to need a reliable one that can cover up a list of requirements. These are as follows:
- To unblock multiple international streaming services that aren’t available in your country or either because you’re in a country that has strict censorship laws.
- Most ISPs throttle your bandwidth by slowing down your local internet speeds. Connecting to a VPN on Firestick will provide you with unwavering and steady speeds.
- Online surveillances are a huge setback. If you’re tired of constantly being watched or scrutinized, a VPN will help you stay private. It will provide you with all the anonymity and privacy you need.
- If you’re a gaming fan, and can’t access certain games within your region, you’ll need a reliable FireTV VPN to let you access multiple online gaming platforms instantly.
- A secure WiFi connection is needed for connecting to your Fire device. If ever the need to use a public WiFi arises, a VPN will secure your traffic and device from intruders.
The best free VPN for Firestick in 2021
According to my research, almost 49% of internet users look for free VPN services. However, I don’t believe free VPNs can fulfil certain requirements, especially for your Firestick.
Keeping that in mind, the selected list of free Firestick VPNs, as mentioned above, is the only reliable option that is safe for your Fire device. They are:
1. NordVPN – Use risk-free for 30 days on FireStick
NordVPN is one of the best VPN services in the industry, loved by users worldwide. Its great performance on Firestick is why it’s listed on the best free VPN for Firestick list.
NordVPN isn’t a typical free VPN for Firestick, but you can hack a free trial, by using it during its 30-day money-back guarantee. Simply ask for a refund or account cancelation before the 30 days end.
It’s a safe choice for your Firestick because it’s one of the few reliable services that doesn’t log any user data.
You’ll be able to access the best streaming services that probably aren’t available where you’re located. For instance, just in case you’re trying to access the US Netflix library or Netflix in general on your Firestick, and live within a country that doesn’t allow it. With NordVPN, it won’t be an issue, since this provider works with Netflix.
You’ll even find a native Firestick app for NordVPN on the Amazon Store. It won’t even take you a long time to download and install it on your Firestick, with no extra configuring needed!
Speaking of features, the app offers military-grade encryption, a Kill Switch feature for Firestick, a CyberSec feature for ad blocking, and more.
You’ll have access to all of its 5500+ servers spread across 59 countries to access content worldwide. The NordVPN servers are backed up by a SmartPlay DNS feature that allows you to unblock many geo-blocked services from anywhere!
I unblocked Hulu, ESPN, and Netflix. I even got access to BBC iPlayer and Amazon Prime Video and that’s extremely difficult to do!
Did you know that all of the NordVPN servers are optimized for fast streaming speeds? No more lagging on your Firestick!
Apart from using NordVPN for free on your Firestick, you’ll also be able to simultaneously connect the app to multiple other supported devices. This is because NordVPN allows up to 6 multi-device connections.
Subscribe to the cheapest package using the NordVPN coupon, and then use it risk-free!
2. Windscribe – Best free VPN for Firestick overall
Windscribe, is the best free VPN for Firestick and it is easy to install. You won’t need to pay a dime to get it started on your Amazon Fire TV.
Windscribe’s free version is far more reliable than many other free VPN providers, which is why it’s popular among users.
The free version isn’t the same as the premium app, which is common in all free versions. It covers around 10 server locations, and offers a 10 GB bandwidth/mo.
That’s enough to get you around 3-4 hours of HD streaming a day. Also, if you’re looking to get a little more data on hand, why not just tweet about them on Twitter? They offer an extra 5GB of free data if you “@Windscribe.com” on Twitter.
When it comes to its security, I believe that would be considered as the free version’s strong suit.
It operates using 256-bit encryption, which pretty much encrypts your data and shields it from prying eyes. As far as unblocking streaming platforms are concerned, since there aren’t many servers to work with, it might be a little difficult to unveil many streaming websites.
However, Windscribe is also one of the best free VPNs that unblock Netflix quite easily. So, you can now binge with fast speeds on your Firestick.
Another perk is that both the paid and free versions can be used on Firestick and other devices. It also allows unlimited device connections! All-in-all it still makes a pretty good free VPN app for privacy on your Firestick device.
Windscribe offers a sleek dedicated app for Firestick/FireTV on Amazon App Store!
3. ProtonVPN – Unlimited data with 3 servers
ProtonVPN is another freemium app with both a paid and free version for Firestick. It’s secure and doesn’t have any data caps.
It provides very limited coverage of servers; around 3 countries, which are the United States, Netherlands, and Japan. Yes, that’s a very small list, considering the streaming services we have to unblock. However, the spread covers all the major locations, which are American specific, European, and Asian Pacific. This pretty much is all the coverage you need for a free VPN.
Apart from limited servers, the best part is that its free version offers unlimited bandwidth, and medium to lowspeeds. Well, that’s what you should expect from a free VPN app.
So, just in case you’re interested in this free VPN for your Firestick, you’ll experience moderate speeds depending on your internet connection, and unlimited data capacity.
So, this would make a pretty okay-to-decent free app for your Firestick device, since it only allows you to connect to one device using its free version. All-in-all, ProtonVPN is a safe VPN app, preferred by users who require limited usage.
You can connect it to your Firestick device by configuring it with a router.
4. Hide.me – 10GB free data/mo. with 5 servers
Hide.me is another premium and free VPN for streaming on FireStick. It offers a free dedicated app for Firestick, available on the Amazon Store.
You’ll be able to download and install it with great ease. Hide.me is also known to make a great free app for installing Kodi add-ons on your Firestick
It’s mainly recognized in the industry for P2P file sharing and torrenting, but sadly this isn’t applicable towards the US servers on its free app.
It does, however, have more servers for its free version as compared to ProtonVPN, offering around 5 locations for you to connect to; fast speeds if you connect to any of the provided servers that are closer to your location.
You can unblock a limited amount of streaming services, like Amazon Prime Video and HBO GO, but not all. You can find a 3 step tutorial of getting started on its website.
Coming to its bandwidth, it does have a restrictiontowards the data capacity it provides. The free version will allow you 10GB of data a month, which gives you enough time to download or stream through a couple of movies for a few hours.
The Hide.me free app can be really great for your privacy on FireStick, as it offers bank-grade AES 256-bit encryption with a strict no-logging policy. Apart from having a dedicated app for Firestick on Amazon, it also supports other major platforms like Windows, iOS, Android, and macOS.
5. SurfEasy – a simple free VPN for Firestick
Last on the list of free VPNs for Firestick we have, SurfEasy.
This free VPN is best for simple day-to-day usage. If you’re just in for a VPN to secure your Fire device and connection, and maybe use it for simple browsing, SurfEasy is the best option.
The reason I said simple browsing, is mainly due to it allowing you a limit of 500MB only. This is far less in comparison to the VPNs provided above. However, what makes it stand out is the fact that it offers servers in 13 different countries. And that’s way more coverage as compared to all the free VPNs provided in this list.
With SurfEasy, you can connect to your Fire Stick device with a dedicated app for it, by downloading it from the Amazon store. Along with your Fire device, you can also simultaneously connect it to 4 other devices, since its multi-device allowance is up to 5 devices.
To secure your devices and data, SurfEasy runs on military-grade AES 256-bit encryption and observes a strict no-logging policy. This will make sure your Amazon Firestick browsing experience is an anonymous one.
How to choose a free VPN for Firestick
You need to be extra careful when choosing a free Firestick VPN. Just because it’s free, doesn’t mean you can settle for just any VPN.
Most free VPNs are void of providing you with the best or basic features that you need. It’s very rare you’ll find a free Firestick VPN that actually works.
That’s why I chose these top 5 providers. They not only help you access restricted streaming services on your device but also shield your IP address from prying ISP eyes.
Here’s how I chose these top 5 providers:
Access to multiple streaming platforms
The main reason to need a free VPN for Firestick is also chosen based on its ability to unblock multiple streaming services like Netflix, Hulu, BBC iPlayer, Amazon Prime Video, Disney Plus, YouTube, and more.
However, not all the free Firestick VPNs are capable of that. You’ll have to try different server switches.
Apart from needing great security and speeds, most streaming services are blocked in many countries. A free VPN for Firestick needs to be able to bypass these restrictions, all of which the 5 free Firestick VPNs allow access to.
User-friendliness and compatibility
An app for Firestick and in general should be very simple to use. It should be designed in such a way that it’s accessible to professionals and beginners alike. Apart from its user-friendly usability, the provider should also have a dedicated app for Firestick. Device compatibility is very important. Besides supporting a free app for Firestick, they also were compatible with a few of the major operating systems.
There are some circumstances where a free VPN might offer a couple of server locations, but these won’t be applicable if the coverage isn’t spread across all the major countries of the world. For instance, what if you land up with a VPN that provides countless servers but are from just one country?
That would make no sense. All providers mentioned on my list for free VPN for Firestick may have a small coverage from 3-13 countries, but they stretch out to all the major locations of the world. Always go through each provider and see what their free app version is offering. For instance, if you need to access Hotstar on your Firestick, go for a free provider that offers an Indian server.
This is extremely important to protect your privacy and your device. A free VPN usually compensates its value of being free by providing or stealing your data and selling it to third parties. To secure your data and internet connections, the free VPNs for Fire Stick provided, all come with AES 256-bit encryption and a strict no-logging policy.
Okay so, it’s a complete myth that free VPNs provide you great speeds. If you see it in its specs somewhere, don’t believe it, only unless it’s from a reliable source. All the free VPNs mentioned on my list don’t boast great speeds, but reliable ones for your Firestick experience that won’t slow down your local connection speeds all that much.
Premium VPNs for Firestick
If at some point you’re interested in switching from a free to a paid VPN for Firestick, there are 5 providers that are the best. They are:
- Surfshark – comes with a dedicated app for Firestick on Amazon, a 30-day refund policy, and great speeds, and allows unlimited device connections. You can also test the app using its 7-day free trial for Android and iOS mobile devices.
- CyberGhost – has a dedicated app on Amazon, a 45-day refund, perfect privacy policies, and an allowance of 7 multi-device connections. You can try testing it out for free using its limited free trial.
- ExpressVPN – offers a dedicated app for Firestick on Amazon, has a 30-day refund/free trial, good speeds, and allows simultaneous connections up-to 5 devices.
- NordVPN – has a dedicated app for Firestick on Amazon, offers a 30-day refund, strong security features, and allows at least 6 simultaneous multi-device connections. It also comes with a short free trial period.
- IPVanish – includes a dedicated Firestick app on Amazon, has a free trial, unblocks Netflix, and allows unlimited simultaneous connections.
Instead of going for a free VPN for Firestick, and experiencing some pretty restricted or limited streaming privileges, why not test out a premium VPN using its refund policies?
You’ll automatically see the difference! Then from there, you can easily decide which premium VPN to go for, using it on your Firestick.
How do I install a free VPN on Firestick?
- First, you start by signing up with the VPN you went with.
- Then you fire up your Firestick and sign in to your Amazon account.
- Look for the VPN app you signed up with.
- Download and Install it.
- Once installed, launch the app and connect it to the best server according to your location.
That’s about it!
Now that you’ve gone through some of the best free VPNs for Firestick, here is the most frequently asked question by various VPN users/investors:
What is the best free VPN app for Firestick?
Windscribe is the best free VPN for Firestick. It’s one of the safest and premium apps that offer a free dedicated app for your FireTV. There are many other contenders but none match up to Windscribe’s performance, despite having only 10 servers to connect to.
How to set up a free VPN for Firestick that doesn’t offer a dedicated app?
What happens when a free provider, like ProtonVPN, doesn’t come with a dedicated app for Firestick? What do you do then? How do you set up a connection?
There are 2 ways to get it started with your Firestick device, which are:
Using a Router
First, you need to make sure you’re subscribed or signed up with the chosen VPN, only then can you move on to proceed with the following:
- Sign in to the admin dashboard of your router.
- Mesh together the configuration files of your VPN with the ones of your router.
- Turn your VPN on.
- Once connected to the VPN, you can connect your Firestick to the VPN using your router.
Using the APK file method
Sometimes VPNs don’t come with a dedicated VPN app Firestick and nor is it available on Amazon. Sideloading it through an APK file is the other best alternative to get started. You have to:
- Go to the settings of your FireStick device and click on “Device”.
- You’ll find two options under the name of “USB debugging”, and “Apps From Unknown Sources”. Turn both of them on.
- Return to the previous menu and click on “About” followed by “Network”.
- Take track of the IP address mentioned on the top of the list.
- Now, once that’s done, go to the main page of your Firestick and download an app called “Downloader App”.
- Launch the app and enter in URL of your downloaded APK file and click on “Go”.
- Install the app.
- Now open your FireTV, click on “Settings” then “Applications” and then on “Manage Installed Applications”.
- Look for your sideloaded VPN and click on “Launch Application”.
- Login your VPN app details to sign in.
- Connect to the best server and start streaming!
Installing A Free Vpn On A Firestick App
Using a free VPN for Firestick can be a little frustrating, especially since it provides very limited features, speeds, and security. A free VPN, in general, is extremely unreliable.
However, the free Firestick VPNs mentioned on my list (NordVPN, Windscribe, ProtonVPN, Hide.me, and SurfEasy), have been tried and tested.
They may lack good server coverage, fast speeds, and security, but one thing is for sure, they can be trusted, as compared to many free VPN provides in the industry.
If however, you’re interested in some of the best premium VPNs for Firestick, there is a list of 5 (Surfshark, CyberGhost, ExpressVPN, NordVPN, and IPVanish) that have already been mentioned above!
Installing A Free Vpn On A Firestick Download
If you’re on a budget, head over to our VPN deals and discount page to choose the most affordable provider!