I have used Avast Free for many years, I have never had an issue or any sort of infection on my PC whilst using that Avast Security Suite, it is probably the best of the free solutions. NOTE: before you install any new security suite, you need to completely remove McAfee, which is not easy to do.
- What Not To Install With Avast Free Fire
- What Not To Install With Avast Free
- What Not To Install With Avast Free Trial
- What Not To Install With Avast Free Antivirus
- What Not To Install With Avast Free Download
Avast is a well-known antivirus program having millions of users worldwide. Still, many users over the web have found it suspicious and reported it as a threat to their PC. This made the existing and potential Avast users worry about if it is safe to use or not. To know about the reality, we installed and used the free version of the Avast antivirus and have concluded certain points that will be shared here.
If you also have the same question, “Is Avast Safe?” on your mind, this post is specially written for you. Here, you will find the most genuine answers to all your questions related to the legitimacy of Avast.
Avast Adblock has engineered a new technology that offers the flexibility to set the level of adblocking that you wish to have; from blocking aggressive and intrusive ads to blocking 99% of all ads. With our new adblock you are in control of your browser and you set your own rules of adblocking. Download free virus protection for Windows PC. Avast offers modern antivirus for today’s complex threats. Fast, simple, and 100% free.
- 1 What is Avast?
- 2 Is Avast Safe?
What is Avast?
Avast is an Antivirus program available for Windows, Mac, Android as well as iOS users. It is a very popular tool that is known to protect your computer from harmful viruses, malware, spyware, and all the other threats. This tool comes in a free and a paid version. The free version comes with certain limitations that make you think about switching to the paid version. Acast Antivirus has more than 400 million users globally and the number is growing every minute.
The key things that make Avast an outstanding antivirus program is the user-interface, protection, and additional utilities like a safe browser, VPN, and computer optimizer. All this makes Avast worth having for both the beginners as well as the power users.
Difference Between Avast Free & Avast Premium
As I mentioned above, Avast Antivirus has two editions, a Free Edition that offers all the services without needing any money. And, a Premium Edition that needs a subscription. Here is a complete differentiation between the Free and the Pro edition. You can use it to decide which one is suitable according to your needs.
What Not To Install With Avast Free Fire
Highlights of Avast Free Edition
- Detects and Remove Virus and other Malware.
- Protection level: Normal.
- Able to Scan for Wi-Fi Security Weakness.
- Secure your passwords.
- 24×7 Protection.
Highlights of Avast Premium Edition
- Detects and removes all kinds of Viruses and Malware.
- Protection Level: Advanced.
- Avoid fake sites for safer shopping.
- Secures your passwords.
- Safely run suspicious apps.
- Advanced firewall to block hackers.
- An extra layer of security to prevent ransomware.
- Blocks webcam spying.
- Blocks phishing emails.
You can find the pricing for the Premium Edition in the Avast Store.
Is Avast Safe?
Yes,Avast is safe 99 out of 100 times you use it. Avast is a good antivirus program that can help you protect your PC. However, rarely it may start creating certain issues and we will discuss that instance in the later sections. For now, let’s find out briefly if Avast is safe and how is that so. We will take a look at different factors of our activities on the PC that Avast monitors and offer protection for.
Is Avast Safe for Threat-Protection?
Avast Antivirus provides excellent real-time threat protection against viruses and other malware. The virus definitions are regularly updated to stay aware of the new threats. However, the free version only offers a mediocre level of protection. If you are a regular user or a business owner, I’d recommend using the Premium Edition of Avast to stay protected against all kinds of threats. From this, you can conclude that Avast is safe for threat protection only when you have the paid version.
Is Avast Safe for Web Browsing?
Avast Antivirus provides real-time monitoring when you use its browser known as Avast Secure Browser. It offers excellent internet security and privacy. The Pro Edition of Avast also provides secure web browsing through other browsers like Edge and Chrome also. But, you must grant required permissions for that. One limitation of the free version is that it doesn’t offer safe and secure browsing. Therefore, Avast is safe if you are browsing through the Avast Secure Browser.
Is Avast Safe for PC Optimization?
PC Optimization is the aspect for which Avast makes you raise your brows. While using the free version of Avast Antivirus, we found that it heavily slows down your PC and then offers unnecessary optimization. It is able to clean junk and remove unwanted software but you can do that manually as well. You don’t need Avast for that. The free version forces you to upgrade to the Premium edition as it doesn’t have some needed features for better optimization. Hence, Avast free is not safe for PC optimization as it may lead to performance issues.
Is Avast Safe for Privacy and Security?
Avast is considered safe when it comes to your privacy and security. However, Avast free has a known history of collecting your browsing history. But, there aren’t any such reports about the paid version. Also, Avast Premium comes with excellent password protection, blocks webcam spying, and blocks phishing emails. You can use the Avast VPN as well to browse the web anonymously. Therefore, Avast is somewhat safe for your privacy and security.
Is Avast Safe for Protection Against Online Attacks?
The free version of Avast will not protect you against the attacks from hackers as it doesn’t have a firewall. So, you must upgrade to Avast Premium if you want to stay protected against any kind of online attack. Also, the pro version blocks fake shopping websites so you don’t use your credit card information in bad places. The free version is not able to do that. So, Avast is safe for protection against online attacks only when you have the pro version.
Is Avast a Virus?
No,Avast is not a virus. It is an antivirus that has the purpose of defending you against viruses. However, sometimes Avast itself may turn into a virus. This may happen when a virus or malware infects the core files of Avast and makes it malfunction. It is a rare case but still has happened as reported by several users. When this happens, Avast will install its own browser as default without your permission and will update itself randomly without your control.
Also, Avast will automatically reboot your computer without asking for your permission even. This may lead to losing your important work. And, you can’t even uninstall it when it becomes a threat. You must use special tools to remove it then.
After going through all these aspects, we can conclude that the answer to the question “Is Avast Safe?” is Yes. Avast is safe but only when you have the Premium version of the antivirus. The free version comes with only limited features and may slow down your PC, and even turn into a threat itself under the worst-case scenarios. So, I wouldn’t recommend using the free version. If you have it, you can uninstall it and see for yourself how heavily it has been impacting the performance of your PC.
That’s all for this post. I hope you find it helpful. If you have any suggestions regarding anything mentioned here, feel free to catch up to me in the comments section. I’ll be up for a discussion there.
ThinkMobiles is one of most trusted companies conducting IT & software reviews since 2011. Our mission is to provide best reviews, analysis, user feedback and vendor profiles. Learn more about review process.
We may receive compensation when you click on links. Neither our writers nor our editors get paid to publish content and are fully committed to editorial standards .
Got no Internet but need a best antivirus? No worries, just select the one, download offline version and keep it on your device. For example, Avast Offline Installer. Avast offers two options to install its products, either get them via website or install via offline version without Internet connection. Keep in mind that file size for online installation is much smaller than for offline installation. In this review, we discuss offline installation processes for different Avast products.
Requirements of Avast antivirus aren’t too high in terms of device specifications, all you need is:
- Operating system: Windows (XP/Vista/7/8/10)
- Processor: Intel Pentium 4 AMD 64, or higher
- Disk space: 1.5 GB free
- RAM: 256 MB, or more
Note that latest versions of Avast antivirus are not compatible with Microsoft Windows 95, 98, ME, and 2000. At the same time, it is perfectly fine for 32-bit and 64-bit Windows versions, excluding RT and Starter editions.
Offline installation process
After downloading the offline.exe file, you can find it in your downloads folder and start the installation process by executing it. Once the file is clicked, a Windows message pops-up informing you that Avast Free Antivirus wants to make changes to your device to be installed, choose Yes. Then a loading screen pops-up and lasts for a while waiting for the program installation procedures to load.
It is noteworthy that offline installation file size is much larger than the online one, it is around 250 MB while the online installation file is only 7.05 MB. Once loaded, the installation wizard appears.
A couple of things that you need to take into account before clicking Install:
- Avast Browser: antivirus will automatically install Avast browser, and it will make it your default one. If you do not want this, uncheck the browser installation option.
- Google Toolbar: In some cases, Avast offers to install Google Toolbar to Internet Explorer as this feature offers translation for non-English websites and forms auto-filling.
- Language Change: Avast lets you change the language if you are not comfortable with English. Go to top-right corner, select and the language will change after installation process is complete.
Avast Free Antivirus enables you to choose from two types of installation:
- Regular installation: includes default products like Avast SecureLine VPN, Avast Cleanup, Avast Browser Cleanup, Avast Passwords, Avast SafeZone Browser and Avast Software Updater.
- Custom installation for advanced users. It gives you the choice to choose what features to install and what not to.
What Not To Install With Avast Free
Sometimes Avast offers some additional products like Dropbox and Google Chrome. So, upon choosing which products to install, check the ones you want. Once you click Install, the installation procedures start to execute and a window pops-up showing the progress. You are free to perform any other activities until it finishes.
- Go to Settings > Privacy > uncheck Participate in the Avast community
- Go to Settings > Privacy > uncheck Participate in data sharing
Once Continue is clicked, Avast will ask if you want to setup Avast security products on your Android smartphone or not. If interested, enter your email address to receive a direct download link on your mobile phone. A strongly recommended advice is to restart your computer to finish the installation of Avast offline installer and guarantee full compatibility with other system processes.
Avast Premier: offline installer
Avast Premier is a security suite provided by Avast company. It can do all what Avast Free Antivirus does, but it has some extra premium features. For instance, it provides high security level to user’s webcam against any spying trials. It also searches for latest versions of programs on your device and updates them, blocks phishing sites. The services that Avast Premier offers are as follows:
- Cleanup Premium: It is responsible for getting rid of junk files, cleaning obsolete entries of registry and applying modifications to any inefficient settings of the system.
- Data Shredder: It is responsible for permanent deletion of the folders and the files that you do not want to recover again in the future.
- Driver Updater: This is an independent service with extra subscriptions. It is responsible for downloading and installing official work drivers for any of your device components.
- SecureLine VPN: It is also an independent service that you need to pay extra subscriptions to get it. It is responsible for securing your online presence by shielding your identity, location and IP address.
- SandBox:This feature gives you the ability to run any suspicious software in a sandboxed or shielded environment.
- Wi-Fi Inspector: It is responsible for scanning your network trying to detect any issues that might harm your device. Moreover, it shows all the devices connected with you to the same network.
- Sensitive Data Shield: It is responsible for securing sensitive on your device like payroll and tax documents. This feature secures the sensitive files against any trial of unauthorized access.
- Webcam Shield:Itprevents anyone or any malware from accessing your device webcam to spy upon you.
- Software Updater: Its primary function is to regularly check if all your apps installed on your device are up-to-date or not. If not, it lets you know and asks for a permission to update them.
- Passwords: It is responsible for managing your passwords in a secure way through an encryption process.
What Not To Install With Avast Free Trial
Once the download process is over, find the .exe file in your downloads folder and execute it. On clicking the file Windows system will inform that Avast Premier is asking for permission to make changes to PC, check Yes. You can the language if you go to Customize. Note, that installation includes Avast browser, if you don’t want it, un-check the browser installation box.
Once everything is done, Avast Premier will automatically run. It will ask about the networks your device is connected to. If a new network is protected by firewall, it will ask whether it is a public or a private network. Whatever it is, the required protection level is provided by Avast firewall.
The overall offline installation process is simple, no advanced skills or personal information is required. Moreover, no significant differences between offline and online installation. The only difference is the size of files: 7 MB and 258 MB.
Avast Internet Security
Avast Internet Security is one of the security products provided by Avast company. It provides the higher levels of protection compared with free antivirus. It secures user’s online presence which is especially vital when it comes to bank transactions. Furthermore, it is not limited to internet security, it also provides anti-ransomware protection. Find the main features of AIS below.
- Secure Shopping: Avast Internet Security secures your online shopping as it prevents hackers from stealing your information or passwords.
- Sandbox: Avast Internet Security has a sandbox module to run any dubious applications in it avoiding any harms that these apps may cause to your computer.
- Firewall: Avast Internet Security has an advanced firewall module to prevent hackers from accessing your computer.
- Phishing Email Blocking: Avast Internet Security secures you against annoying spam or phishing emails.
- Wi-Fi Inspector: Avast Internet Security scans your network to detect any issues that might harm your device. Moreover, it shows all the devices connected with you to the same network.
- Passwords: Avast Internet Security manages your passwords in a secure way through an encryption process, and it informs you if it detects any weak password.
- Sensitive Data Shield: Avast Internet Security provides extra layer of security for sensitive data on your device.
- Virus Detection: Avast Internet Security detects any virus or malware exists on your device.
The least required device specifications to install AIS in the screenshot below. Note, that itis not compatible with Microsoft Windows 95, 98, ME, and 2000 versions.
What Not To Install With Avast Free Antivirus
Once the download process is complete, you get the .exe file, execute it. Click Yes to allow Avast to apply changes to your computer. Choose Customize to select which modules to install. Click Install to start copying the software files to your computer. Several minutes until everything is ready, so do not turn off PC while installation is in progress. Then a message will pop-up asking you to restart your computer.
What Not To Install With Avast Free Download
Avast offline installers – Summary
Products by Avast have proven outstanding performance in securing users’ data. Avast offers complete package of security suites. Avast can secure emails, manage passwords, detect/delete viruses and malware, block phishing sites, detect suspicious apps, secure webcams, update apps, shield sensitive files, etc. The table below summarizes differences between 3 core products of Avast.
|Feature||Avast free antivirus||Avast Internet Security||Avast Premier|
|Avoiding phishing sites||–||+||+|
|Detecting dubious apps||–||+||+|
|Blocking email spams||–||+||+|
|Shield sensitive files||–||–||+|
|Automatic app updating||–||–||+|
|Annual subscription per 1 device||–||$30.00||$35.00|
Offline installers links
- Avast offline installer – Avast Free Antivirus, to keep your device secure from viruses and malware;
- Avast offline installer – Avast Internet Security, to secure online brwosing;
- Avast offline installer – Avast Premier with multiple modules for data security;